Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Turning - Chapter Twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

After they had dropped Kuntabai home, Scherezade turned to Zerxes. "Did you think I was at all in any danger?"

"No way!" was the emphatic reply. "While he was in the room with you, I had the door of the bathroom slightly open, my revolver trained on him. It was only when I saw him coming towards the loo that I got into the bathtub and pulled the curtain across. I gathered he had come there to put on the gloves. Then the minute he left the bathroom, I was right behind him. Not to mention Patil and Rodricks. Think I'd take any chances with your neck?" He glinted down at her glowing face.

"I've sometimes wondered." she answered, her expressive eyes veiled by her lashes . . .

* * * *

The telephone bell was ringing when they reached his flat. Zerxes hurried over and picked up the receiver. It was Patil, speaking from the Police Station. Vinod Shahane had broken down completely and confessed to killing both Dina Sattar and Nivedita Shahane.

"Only, he refused to acknowledge Dina's death as murder," Patil said. "He insisted that it was justice, for trying to rob him of his inheritance. That she had brought it upon himself, the day she married his father!"

"Yes, Inspector. Dina brought a lot upon herself and upon others around her, the day and the way she married Prakash Shahane," murmured Zerxes, gently putting down the receiver.

******

No comments: